Wednesday, March 5, 2014

WHO IS THE TOUGHEST CLIENT TO TRAIN?

I am often asked who I consider to be the toughest client to train. I am usually asked by my students who are made up on exercise enthusiasts that are entering the field and want a leg up on who they may encounter to be a challenge with exercise programming. I am also asked my blog readers that seek similarities in our "war stories" regarding client participation. 

 I think back to the many, many different clients I have trained in over 14 years and 5 different facilities (including my own)...and I never really thought about who stood as a challenge to train until now. Was it the paraplegic who is embedded in a wheelchair? At the time, I wasn't sure why Paul felt that he should join a gym and continue his pre-accident workouts, but he taught me a few lessons. Why don't I consider him a tough client to train? Because he was a motivated fellow and I just needed some creativity on my part. He met his own set of challenges daily and our training together was minuscule compared to what he tackled everyday. So, no..he wasn't tough to train. 

 Was it the narcissistic CEO of Hartford's largest insurance companies? No...it wasn't him either. Although, Mr. Gheema was intimidating in stature and not very talkative, he was a "go-getter" and managed his time through a calendar and executive assistant. His sessions were booked through her and he simply reported to me at lunch time. He did what I told him to do and loved the different challenges I set for him 3x per week. So, no..he wasn't tough to train. 

 Was it the 93-year old blind woman? She was a treat to train. Although Mrs. Johnson was very limited in her capabilities, it was her ambition and fortitude that was limitless. Her style of training was different from others and I approached her with patience, sensitivity and care. She was routine-driven and our time spent training was a growing lesson for me. When she past away, I knew I had lost a good teacher in my life. So, no...she wasn't tough to train. 

 Was it the cancer-striken housewife that came to sessions even after her chemo-therapy treatments? There were plenty of times, I can remember Mary didn't feel up to training but she insisted that we keep going. Even when she knew I was regressing exercises and making them easy, she would scold me and ask me to keep things "as they were". At times, she would adjust her wig in my presence and cough violently, but she was a trooper that only made me work harder to see her get through every session. She lost her battle 2 years later, but I knew--that second to her family--she fought a good fight. So, no...she wasn't tough to train.  
So who was the toughest client to train??? 

In all my years, the toughest client to train has been the regular guy or gal that is lazy, inconsistent and looking for a "quick fix". The client that needs to be entertained to forget they are exercising. The client that needs to be lured into exercises by saying things like, "we'll go slow" or "we'll only do it this one time"...or "just give me 6 reps (instead of the intended 10). This is the client that is has no self-motivation or willingness to empower themselves with the God-given gifts that they already have.

This is the client that becomes his/her own worst enemy. The client that inconsistently trains but consistently eats more than he should. This is the client that doesn't realize that the bigger picture is a life 15-20, 30 years down the road but only focuses on the now. This is the client that is toughest to train.... If you enjoyed this post, please share it and make your comments below telling of your toughest clients to train.

19 comments:

  1. credexo | IT SolutionMarch 14, 2014 at 3:37 PM

    Hi to everybody, here everyone is sharing such knowledge, so it’s fastidious to see this site, and I used to visit this blog daily.

    https://www.credexo.com/
    IT Solution

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huntington Beach ChiropratorMarch 19, 2014 at 5:05 AM

    Huntington Beach Chiropractor diagnose encompass fracture, nerve problems, tumor, implant issues and serious injuries. Recognized as a health care profession, chiropractic care is effective treatment to dwindle acute back pains. It is suitable and beneficial to folks who wish to maintain healthy spine for protracted time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Orange County ChiropractorApril 3, 2014 at 4:31 AM

    Huntington Beach Chiropractor diagnose encompass fracture, nerve problems, tumor, implant issues and serious injuries. Recognized as a health care profession, chiropractic care is effective treatment to dwindle acute back pains. It is suitable and beneficial to folks who wish to maintain healthy spine for protracted time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This guy is really inspiring. Hearing stories like this makes me want to work harder, not just in working out but in everything I do. This just proves you can do anything you set your mind to.

    http://ufccbd.com.au/personal-training

    ReplyDelete
  5. Atico Export is Educational Trainers manufacturing and export company in Ambala, India since 1954 with a vast range of high quality laboratory instruments click more

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think these are among the common reasons for back pain. For solutions for back muscle pain in Canada visit us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome Posts. A Trainer should be friendly by nature and most important don't over react.

    http://www.infighting.ca/vancouver-personal-trainer

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank an individual and so much with regard to sharing the very helpful information.I have read the actual post AS WELL AS recognize added thing exactly about Garden Headache.This effect can be very harmful with regard to any one.If an individual Visit this web site you in 2010 realize That how This has effective regarding all of us AND ALSO people astonished what a good dangerous else the particular is!If people get added specifics please click here lower back pain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice article. I was looking for such information. Thanks for providing it. back muscle pain in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very good content with valuable informations. So far I didn't had any problems with back pain and I am hoping that I wouldn't have any problems. nuyu

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for showing some awesome remedies. Here is also some awesome tips about topics from which the victim can get a better solution
    shoulder pain

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a lot of back pain. I have been trying to treat it without using medications. I will try to use some of your tips to stop the pain. I'm sure that they will work great. http://www.fickchiropractic.com/pain-relief

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been working out for most of my life as I grew up playing multiple sports. After graduating high school I stopped playing sports and working out daily. I've put on a little too much weight for my liking. I've tried working out on my own but I don't remember enough of my workouts. I think that it's time that I reach out for some help get the results that I want. http://www.trainingbykyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good article, but worthless at the end when you don't give us a video of how you've gotten into that position and how to appropriately do that stretch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Personal Trainer BlokeJanuary 6, 2015 at 8:26 AM

    If any of my clients ask me some of these questions, I'll know they'll have read this post, and I'll have extra respect for them! Great stuff.

    http://www.themphmethod.com/about/studios/st-johns-wood-studio

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the same problem, imbalance from years of limping - I have been going to physio for a long time. It is the best way to have someone show you how to fire the muscle and reprogram your self. Physio gave me video instructions so I could watch them on my phone and do them at home. some are simple like tightening up the glute that is weak and then balancing on that leg and maintaining straight posture. It takes a lot of practice and then one day you can do it. It may take finding the right physio person, I have tried many, some just want to attach the muscle stim and walk away, which I don't think was the best option for me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jessica Forquer-De LeonMarch 8, 2015 at 11:36 PM

    I'm not sure if this is my situation, but I have an issue. My right gluteal fold hangs lower than my left one. My left glute is prominant with a nice shelf but the right one does not. Could it be that I have glute atrophy? I have tried so many different corrective exercises and techniques... I just need some expert guidance. Both my glutes fire when I perform glute bridges and any other form of glute exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a former Bodybuilder who began sitting for 16 hours a day while studying the Holocaust Lies, Moon Walk Lies, 9/11 Lies, Evolution Lies etc... which resulted in lower back pain for the last 5 years; I cannot even sleep more than a couple hours each night as my back hurts, let alone try and roll over in bed since my lower body will not turn over along with my upper body (I have to flop over). I also lost the ability to contract my glutes and stomach muscles. I kept trying to stretch and do calisthenics to get rid of the pain but nothing ever worked. Until today, I was actually scared to consider what might be wrong with me so I never even consulted a skeletal/muscle diagram to look at what might be happening to me (just like the masses of gullible people who will not consider the truth about the lies I mentioned at the beginning of this comment). This is the 4th article I have read today about the thoracolumbar fascia and it is spot on. I have no doubt that massage therapy and possibly laser therapy will eradicate this condition. With horror, I now see what happened to my canine companion who suffered along with me, eventually losing his ability to walk (misdiagnosed as spinal degeneration). I killed my beautiful Rhodesian Ridgeback because of my fascination with the evil lies of this World, most of which are spread by World Jewry that is the eternal sickness of mankind.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Want
    to workout in a gym or even the park? Find best personal trainers in
    Milton
    Keynes to help you do just that. Right across Buckinghamshire
    you can get insured and qualified individuals to help you train more
    effectively. You also get to do things that you may not have thought of and
    often it becomes more of a fun workout. Check our directory of personal trainer
    in Milton Keynes below.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting!