Saturday, October 19, 2013

Version 2.0 Interview with Eric Cressey

I interviewed Eric Cressey in 2011. That interview can be found HERE. For those of you that don't know who Eric is, he is probably the smartest guy in the strength & conditioning field that is under the age of 35. I met Eric about a year and a half ago at a seminar, and was blown away with his presentation. Its been 2 years since I last interviewed Eric. At the time he had his first book published and released and has expanded his business. Along with many, many other attributes that he has accomplished in just the last two years, he has also managed to put out some awesome products. To put it bluntly....Eric's puts out some great products that really...I mean, really benefits the fitness professional, exerciser and overall end-user. When I get a chance to ask Eric some questions for an interview, I know its going to be good. I get something out of it and I know you (the reader) will get something out of it. Check it out:

JOHN: Ten years ago, assessments were something not many trainers were conducting. Today, assessments have become the backbone of any exercise program and more trainers are refining their skills with certain assessments. However, can you tell us where you think some trainers can go wrong or trip up in the assessment process? 

ERIC: I think there are three big mistakes I see. 

First, an assessment needs to be specific to the individual. It’s silly to do a VO2max test on a powerlifter, just like it’d be silly (and absurdly dangerous) to do a one-rep max squat assessment on a post-rehab hip replacement client. At the end of the day, people need to realize that an assessment is in place to give you the information you need to write an effective program and learn which coaching cues will work best for that individual. It’s not just in place so that you can say you did an assessment! 

Second, I think many trainers make the mistake of allowing the assessment to last far too long. I’m amazed that there are people who spend in excess of an hour assessing a new client; if it takes you that long, then you need a more efficient assessment approach. Additionally, every minute you spend assessing is a minute that you aren’t training clients and getting them closer to their goals. 

Third, I think some people need to put a different spin on how they use their assessments. It should be something that educates and motivates new clients on how much you’re going to help them, not something that brings them down a peg as you point out everything that is wrong with them. An assessment should not put up a wall between you and a client; it should help to create a bond based on your willingness and ability to help that individual. Of course, there are several other mistakes folks can make, but these are the first three that come to mind. 

JOHN: What may be optimal performance for a baseball player or a football player may not be considered optimal for a general population client. How would you define "optimal performance" for a regular Joe Schmoe that works 9-5 and drives a minivan to and from soccer games every week? 

ERIC: I think it’s very simple: can these people do the things that they want to do on a daily basis – and without pain? It sounds like a very basic answer, but the truth is that most general fitness folks don’t have incredibly lofty performance goals. They want to be able to carry their kids without back pain, or play catch with those same kids without shoulder pain. Maybe they want the stamina to take part in a family hike, or just enough to get through long days without feeling exhausted and beaten-down by 5pm. Still, we can use a ton of the same exercises with these folks that we use with athletic populations, as there are right and wrong ways to move. However, other variations – frequency, duration, intensity, volume – need to be modified to give the general population folks what they need. 

JOHN: Speaking of a personal trainer's career, where do you think the need for empathy is? Should it be a prerequisite early in the career, something developed, or is it over-rated? 

ERIC: I think it’s entirely underrated. If you can’t at least try to walk a mile in people’s shoes, you can’t be successful. As an example, think about strength and conditioning coaches who just yell all the time; guys eventually wind up tuning them out. Conversely, the coaches who really care and get to know their athletes on a personal level are the ones who become trusted long-term resources. That’s what trainers should aspire to become with their clients: lifelong friends. 

JOHN: Speaking of business, can you tell my readers how you have acquired your network of professionals over the years; and what methods can they use to develop a trusting circle of helpful pro's? 

ERIC: I think it’s important to realize that your network has many “arms.” One arm is medical professionals – doctors, massage therapists, physical therapists, athletic trainers – to whom you can refer. This network can be developed by accompanying clients to appointments, asking other professionals in the area who they’d recommend on these fronts, and by attending seminars where these complementary professions are well represented. A second arm is other trainers. You want people off of whom you can bounce ideas on a regular basis. Obviously, seminars are a great option on this front, but the internet has also made it possible for more long-distance communication on this front. And, more and more accomplished professionals are readily accessible online. A third arm is other businesses that can help your company. It might be anything from cleaning services, to equipment manufacturers, to flooring companies. To build this one, you need to ask around – preferably among other trainers you trust. At the end of the day, I just try to be as friendly as I possibly can to everyone I meet. It’s just good manners, but as an added bonus, you never know when one of those people is going to end up being a trusted resource to you down the road. [END]

Eric was kind enough to let me check out his newest product finished before he put it up for sale. I am the proud owner of all his products and can tell you without a sliver of doubt,  that this manual and videos is top-quality stuff. His products are informative and always referred to as a high standard in this digital age. Check out his newest product: The High Performance Handbook



Eric was kind enough to forward me a copy of the finished product last week and I looked it over. As with anything he puts out, it is nothing short of amazing. It comes with a chock full of tutorial videos by Eric and is the perfect tool for structuring an effective program.




15 comments:

  1. Great article! Im a massage therapist and it helped me understand what I need to work on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post, Can you give me some more details about backache rochester ny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. massage and stretching...fixes everything! I wasted my time reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice presentation.. a very well written content giving a lot of information. good one.. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must say that the drill which you have shared for getting rid of the low back pain is really suitable to be included in a daily exercise routine.

    Physical Therapy Bergen County - http://www.spineandsportsmed.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. you can, but you can also write about facts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great article. Have you looked into/hear of NeuroKinetic Therapy™? It is a very specific form of manual therapy and Advanced Practitioners specialize in working with the TVA, diaphragm, Rectus Abdominus and TLF. They are more specific to the dysfunctional patterns of the above. I have practiced massage since 2000 and began to practice NeuroKinetic Therapy in 2012 and I am amazed at how fast I can help clients who have problems with the TLF and the patterns associated with it. Again great post here is a link to the website if you are interested www.neurokinetictherapy.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent information. I am 6 weeks into dealing with lower back pain and stiffness from deadlifting and squatting, whilst coping with a driving job. This is the first thing that has made sense to me beyond it being explained as just stiff, overstretched muscle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my name is eden and i pls for help..my story is from year ago i was in gym do extreme heavy lifting..i was in gym 10 years ago then before 11 monthes i left gym then i start to feel somthing wrong in pecs... then 2 months after gym i got extreme sternum pain.. all joints pain.. pain all over my chest wall ribs sternum pectoralis and collar bone.. i have this pain until now 11 months later..try any tabs non steroid and then steroid then depo medrol injection..nothing helps..i have pain that dont wont to go away..i had lump on left pec but i push it someware..anybody know what i do to myself??? Is it treatable? Or the pain will be forever? Tnx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi
    this one is great and is really a good post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found this. I also tore my left pec from delt to sternum and elected to not have surgery. That was 1997, since then the scar will at times, shoot quick stabbing pain in my left pec. This usually occurs after intense workouts that strain the scar area. At fIrst I was running to the ER with the chest pain always to be found in good health. Today at 41 I still train and still have the pain from the scar. My question you is, are you aware of any treatment of procedure that can relive the pain in that area or is it something I will have continue to live with?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, seriously well formulated and well written, You have the gift.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me.I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.
    To get new information visit here
    back pain glasgow

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to do personal training (I am the client) in the evenings and then changed to 7am, and then to 6am because of new job. The trainer would work from 6am until 9pm most of the days to accomodate evening clients too and he was the manager too. I felt very guilty everytime I had him come at 6am. Now I am working to accomodate in the evenings.
    Now, I have even more respect for my personal trainer knowing how much beating he takes just to work around my schedule !
    Thanks for the nice post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting!