Thursday, September 5, 2013

3 Types of Clients I Tend to Stay Very Far Away From in My Buisness

When you own a business and work for yourself, there are some advantages and disadvantages to choosing the clients that you want to work with. Let's face it, some clients are great to work with and some are not so much. In a gym, you have a boss breathing down your neck; it is kinda difficult to refuse working with certain clients. To a boss,  the bottom line is the most important factor when it comes to accepting  a new client. The boss only cares about adding to monthly revenues.  If you meet a potential client that comes across as a reckless addition to your roster, there can be retribution from your manager for refusing to accept that client. That client is a dollar sign. And if you do not accept that dollar sign into your client roster--the boss, sees it as a dollar sign missing from the much bigger bottom line.

It is a tough situation to be in. Every small business owner needs cash-flow, but wants to work with people that make training fun, energetic, and worthwhile. A true fitness trainer enjoys working with people that are focused on transformation. It makes the process rewarding to the trainer and redefines the coach each time.

Nonetheless, I have discovered three types of clients that I refuse to work with. When I meet these types of clients, red flags go up in my head immediately and I question whether I should accept them into my training schedule. 

1.) Clients that only and constantly ask me about supplements.
I don't mind certain supplements, but I know that they simply help or assist in training and performance. Supplements are the the "sand grains" of training -- not the rocks or boulders of any training program. When I meet a person that wants to train with me and they constantly mention or ask me about a certain supplement, I tend to suspect they are into quick and easy.  Quick and easy are two verbs that are rotting the essence of hard work in this country--let alone the fitness industry. People that solely rely on the compelling cases supplement companies make regarding their effects and results tend to steer clear of hard work and patience. And hard-work and patience are two qualities needed in any program to make it effective. 

If you want to ask me what types of supplements do I even recommend to a client? I will tel you that I only request that a client begins taking these supplements at least 3 months into training. They include a multi-vitamin; protein shake or meal-replacement; and maybe, maybe creatine...if you fit the right profile. 

Anything else warrants hard work and patience as a prescription.

2.) Clients that have had problems with other trainers in the past.
I'm sorry, but if a person talks endlessly about the problems she or he had with trainers in the past; chances are you will have a problem with them too. I once had a woman meet with me that was interested in training with me. Throughout the consultation, she talked about personal problems she had with her last 2 male trainers She spoke about how they wouldn't return messages or voice-mails; and how they kept discussions short with her. She classified it as "bad customer service"; but in my eyes, it seemed that those trainers were being cautious. People that have emotional or mental disturbances, usually have poor communications skills. My assumptions told me that this lady--who happened to be in her late forties and single, was a time-bomb waiting to explode. I took her on as a client for 2 weeks. Within the first 2 weeks, I was bombarded with voice-mails and emails from her asking me every single question. Questions about training that I had covered with her during the session. However, I think she felt a bit lonely and wanted to some human interaction and hence, called me numerous times. After the 9th call, I sent her a email saying that her payments would be refunded and I would no longer take her on as a client. I never heard from her again.


3.) Clients that talk my ears off about politics or religion.
Two topics that I don't expound on you includes my political views and my faith. Whatever your beliefs are on those two sensitive subjects are for you and you only. When you begin to share them with me relentlessly without any concern for my stance on the subject...that's when I draw the line. When clients banter about their political views and religion without taking the careful steps not to offend, insult or ridicule the very beliefs of the person that they share the same room with--its a sure sign that they are selfish, close-minded, and inconsiderate.

Politics and religion  are great conversation starters...much like talking about the weather. But when discussions get the talker stirred and riled up; it is usually a sign that they don't have anyone else to talk to. Their opinions on certain matters fall on deaf ears. And it is my assumption that they fall on deaf ears because of the delivery. Most educated people when talking about sensitive things like politics and religion, usually will preface the conversation with, "I hope this doesn't offend you"...or "is it okay if I talk about religion or God?". A preface usually does the trick and shows consideration. Some talkers usually get it when the conversation is no longer reciprocated and the awkwardness prevails. That is the time to drop the subject.

Me...I typically, keep my mouth shut and hope that they get my hint.If they continue to ramp on and on about a subject that I am not in agreement in or offends me, I will let them know. However, bare in mind, that these types of things will change a relationship. So think about it without losing your cool.


4 comments:

  1. DAM RIGHT! great read and all three are part of the game and I'm sure you and I have a few real good stories on all 3 lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. More great stuff! Every time you post something I learn a little
    bit more, keep it up and like the redesign. Love learning from trainers that actually
    train people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kyler! This blog is for trainers like you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting!