Monday, November 5, 2012

A Busy Father's, Husband's, Business Owner's, and Trainer's Workout (Done in 28 Minutes)

As a new father, my time is limited. Between training clients, training myself, shuffling back and forth to daycare and trying to stay on top of my other responsibilities (including this blog); every hour of my day is spoken for. However, it is important to me that I don't let my training slip. When I miss one workout, I can live with it and simply plan for the next workout. When I miss two or three workouts, that's when things start getting ugly. 

By ugly, I mean I start getting agitated easily because I can feel my muscles and my health taking a back-seat  to life's chores. And I make it a point to include my training and "taking care of myself" as an important responsibility as a father, husband and business owner. Basically, when I don't train---I don't feel it is right for me to train others. And if I don't train others,  I don't make money. If I don't make money--there goes the house, vacations, and savings. Did you get that? That's how serious I take my career. Somehow, somewhere that's been lost in today's workforce--especially incoming personal trainers. 

When I do train, it is quick before I run to the daycare or in between sessions with clients. When you have more responsibilities on your plate, managing your time is crucial--as long as you prioritize effectively. By prioritizing  you gain focus on what needs to be done--written or unwritten goals for the day. The biggest help  in time management and prioritizing workouts into a busy schedule is the understanding of a good spouse. My wife is very supportive of my career and my laser-like focus to train 4 times per week. Along with raising two babies, rehabbing injuries, and designing exercise programs for my clients--my wife knows when I become more and more frustrated by my own slacking. I truly believe having an understanding spouse that supports one's goals to self betterment is the secret to staying healthy even when time is not on your side anymore. 

So below is a quick upper-body sample of what I train after my client load for the night or in between sessions. If I have 30-45 minutes in between clients, I will squeeze in a workout for myself. This allows me to jet out of the facility after the last client and grab my kids from daycare.

Reclined Pulls (or Inverted Rows) 



I like chins, but since my injury I am not fully confident of hoisting my 200 pound body vertically against gravity, so the inverted rows using the Lebert Bars helps out tremendously. It is a safer alternative and I can adjust the feet placement to increase the intensity of the exercise.  In the video, I place my feet on top of a  plyo box and contract my hips, glutes, and hamstrings (entire posterior chain) while pulling body upwards. I complete 3 sets of 10 reps in this upperbody circuit. 

Perfect Push-Ups



Perfect Push-up handles used to be a joke to me, but I have taken a liking to them. There is no other upper-body exercise like push-ups that you can blast quickly and powerfully to engage the chest, shoulders, and arms as well. Whereas on the reclined pulls, I squeezed the posterior chain muscles, on the push-ups, I am keeping the entire anterior chain musculature tightly braced.

Rope Ab Crunches



From time to time, I still like crunches. Although, this is a "blast from the past" exercise, rope crunches can really enable to me to handle more weight. Using a basic Airex pad for my knees,  this exercise is great for total thorasic and trunk flexion.

Battling Ropes Complex



This is a fun finisher for the upper-body. You can say it's a conditioning drill, but I like to include it at the end of this upper-body circuit for good measure. There is something about reaching muscular fatigue at the end of a workout that enables EPOC and hormone release. The ropes enable the shoulder complex and surrounding muscles to work overtime after I put them through a basic ringer.

This workout is completed ins a circuit fashion in this order for 3 sets of 10-12 seconds. The ropes complex is performed for 10-20 seconds depending on fatigue. 

1 comment:

  1. You are awesome John, Superdad here you go! These are great sets of workouts you got. You are a living inspiration. Keep up the good job!

    Rick Kaselj
    Exercises For Injuries

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting!