Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Starting a Personal Training Studio - Part1


For those of you keeping up with me on Facebook, you probably already know that I am in the starting stages of opening my own facility. For many of you that have been "following" my work over the years, you may also already know that I have a history of running facilities and departments--including my present training facility located within a private golf club in Hartford, CT.

After a decade of running facilities for other people and following other business models (some very successful...some I tend to disagree with); I have decided to develop a facility of my own--while continuing to work presently. For months,  I searched high and low for a space that would accommodate my vision. Since December 2009, I used Realtors, craigslist, and connections to find a decent space that didn't break my bank and was close to my home. Nothing. Everything was ridiculously priced or was missing something that I wanted. I realized when you search for so long,  you begin to look for specific things and tend to not settle. Because it has been a long process, I began purchasing used equipment from craigslist, eBay, and some fitness sites to keep me motivated--while staying in a certain budget.

My network of trainer colleagues brought me to a former student of mine that owned a fitness studio of her own. She was interested in a partnership. One day I checked out her studio and ended up falling in love with the space she had available. For the last 4 weeks, I have been hard at work remodeling the space. This is a corner of the space when I first acquired it:
Each day, I work on it. I wake up--train clients at one facility, hit the gym for my own training,  and then head to the studio for remodeling. A friend and I put up dry wall and sealed it with joint compound. My wife and I painted the walls white (to give it brightness and add "size"). The space itself is about 750 sq. ft, so it is a pretty decent size for mini group training sessions and hopefully some sled dragging!! With a good sweep and mopping of the floor, we have made some great progress:
It hasn't been easy and it has kept me very busy. For one, I have a new product that just launched that has been keeping me busy. Blog posts and newsletters have fallen behind schedule and not to sound like a complainer, but I don't like to slack. There's also been some projects that I have had to put aside to devote my energy to making this facility happen. However, it will be a rewarding experience and once I am finished, it will give me an overwhelming feeling of accomplishment.

Over the course of the next few weeks,  I will dedicate some blog posts to the progress of my facility including photos and videos. For those of you that are contemplating starting your own business, I HIGHLY recommend you that read my interview with Alwyn Cosgrove--who gives tons of great advice for business starters. Please don't listen to millionaire masterminds or people who stand in front of hot sports cars and get their picture done to look successful...you will want to check out this blog often over the next few weeks for REAL insight into this risky, but loving passion of starting your own training business--from someone that REALLY trains!


5 comments:

  1. Great post John and congratulations on your own place. As your hint stated, it is a lot of hard work and elbow grease. If you aren't prepared for hard work, don't open your own facility.

    Wishing you lots of luck, although I know you will be successful. Can't wait to see pics and read posts as you go along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the project. As the saying goes....nothing ventured nothing gained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck John I'm very interested to see what it looks like when your done. I can't wait to have my own facility someday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This will be very interesting, I look forward to more. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting!