Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Moving More is Just Too Simple for Some


Question: Hello, my name is Dave. I'm 14 and in the 9th grade and my whole life I've been the fat kid, and although, I'm not super obese or anything, everybody's made fun of me for it including my family. My goal is to lose at least 25 lbs. before summer because I just cant take the teasing it anymore. Can you get me started in the right direction? Thanks.
- David W., Burlington, VT

Answer: Dave,
Sorry to hear you are getting picked on for your weight--especially by your family. I hear you buddy...I was picked on for being chubby when I was your age. And one day I got so sick of it that I purchased a weight set with my newspaper route money, and started working out. My first set of weights totaled 60 pounds and the kt included a 5 foot bar and several cement filled plates. When I started working out in my parent's basement, I really didn't know what I was doing. Needless to say, I simply followed the kit's accompanying exercise program, and started watching alot of training montage movies like "Rocky", "Vision Quest", and of course..."Pumping Iron".

Now, if you don't have a means of purchasing exercise equipment (dumbbells, etc), than I suggest you start a basic exercise program right in your bedroom.

Every other day, try these exercises:
Jumping jacks (1 minute)

Ab Crunches- 15-20 reps

Burpees - 12 reps

Push-ups  10-15 reps

Squats - 12-15 reps

Chair Dips - 10-12 reps

Jogging in place 1 minute

REST 2 minutes

Repeat the circuit 2 more times

Seems pretty basic, huh? Well,  it is.

In your case, which in retrospect was my case back then, is simply you have to move more. It is pretty easy nowadays to stay indoors and play XBOX or chat with your friends online. Back in my day,  it was Nintendo. And I raced home to try and beat Super Mario Brothers every time and sooner than you know,  I had packed on alot of extra weight. Remember Sir Isaac Newton from science class? His first Law of Inertia specified that "an object not moving  will not move until a force acts upon it".

Well, that's kinda true , dude.

And that is where you are right now. So the simple solution is to get you MOVING again. If you simply change the state of your being, that will be enough to melt away some of your chub initially.
When you become better at the exercises I've listed above, add more reps and start jogging after school in your neighborhood, rather than playing with your PSP. Get a bike and ride it. Climb trees, hills, and playgrounds.Your youthful chubbiness can  be rectified with some daily activity and watching what you eat. Try to eat better at home. Stay away from soda, cereal, junk food, pizza, ice cream, and all that similar crap. Start eating more fruits, granola bars, veggies, and low fat foods. I know it is stuff you have heard already, but if you become more active now, it will help you burn fat and get to your goal of losing 25 pounds.

I hope this helps. Good luck buddy.
 
- John

1 comment:

  1. Great job,,, Moving more is really very simple for him,...
    Thanks for the post..
    Life coach

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting!