Monday, October 12, 2009

Top 5 Easiest Clients to Attain...#3 Seniors Concerned About Balance

As my rankings begin to narrow down to the number one target market for personal training, please remember a few things:

A. These are entirely judged from my experience. Nothing is written in stone. You may have different outcomes based on how you approach customers or what you see entering your facility.

B. How easy is it to sell a package to these markets really depends on how much effort I put into my presentation. I am not 10 for 10, but I am pretty close on closing a sale with these customers. But if I am pressed for time; in the middle of writing a program or on a call; or I am just too busy to dedicate quality time, I may fail in obtaining a new client.

In either case, I am able to identify the attributes easily to qualify them for their respected ranking.

#3: Seniors Concerned with Balance

Senior citizens shop with their "trust goggles" on. Someone over the age of 70 once told me that if you can help ONE senior with something...they will tell all their friends. I guess it worked because at least once a week, I am approached by a senior between the ages of 60-90 to help them with....drum-roll please....BALANCE.

Let's face it. Aging is a breakdown of the body. Most seniors who don't regularly participate in physical activity can feel the breakdown of their bodies on a daily basis. The aging process is unforgiving--but not entirely out of their control. Most will frequent the doctor for a new prescription to something, and most engage in recreational activity like golf, swimming, walks, or gardening. However, most seniors also loose the ability to keep balance. The body begins to break down the senses needed to calculate each stride or step; or to calculate terrain changes in the surface they walk on. Falling is a common fear in most seniors. If a trainer can help increase the confidence in a senior in regards to preventing falls, the business will flow.

Now when I speak of balance, please don't confuse it with unstable surface training. That is not balance. Seniors need not to balance on BOSU's or 1/2 foam rollers. Seniors need exercises that mimic activities of daily living that depend hugely on unilateral stances, steps, and reaches. Increasing their strength and improving coordination are paramount. Most seniors need help with transferring bodyweight, changing direction, and reactive training. Ultimately, it is a question of strength.
When a senior approaches me with a history of falls, I make an effort to explain my rationale and demonstrate an example of the exercises and drills we will perform. Nothing fancy in the beginning because they will become fearful---fast. It is important to show simply drills in the initial stages of rapport. Easing them into business will help you earn their trust and supply you with more of their friends!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting!