Monday, September 28, 2009

Raising the Bar Book Review

I don't know Dave Tate. I don't know power-lifting that much either. I have participated in the main 3 lifts in my college days and still perform each during my regular training--but I am no power-lifter. I recently began reading EliteFTS.com on a regular basis. I have written two articles for EliteFTS.com--including this one and this one. Recently, in my last order through the website, I received Dave's new book, "Raising the Bar".


On one of the last days of summer, I went to the beach and I read the entire book. Trust me, its a good sized-read, but I was so engulfed in the content that I could not possibly put it down. Dave's words transpired through the text and it felt like he was speaking directly to me. In "Raising the Bar", Dave highlights the challenges and obstacles he had faced growing up in a suburb of Ohio. From being constantly picked on for his learning disabilities and beat up by the neighborhood bullies, Dave explains how his love for weight-lifting became his solace and passion. The book really dives into how Dave's mindset has transformed over the years and how a life dependent solely on himself, has changed due to the trials he has endured. He is giving back to those that have helped him, and his introspection outlines a model for motivation.


The book is a great read. I really related to it simply because I discovered weight-lifting to fill a void in my life in my younger years. I was chubby, non-athletic, and shy growing up. When I purchased my first weight-lifting set at 15, I was hooked on seeing my muscles grow and my strength increase. I became more confident and my physical abilities began to improve. I was becoming more athletic, and rather than being picked last during recess games or gym class--I was being picked first. It was a process that bred initiative in me. It was a process that changed my life and empowered me. I felt in control of myself and realized everything is a choice that I CAN make.



"Raising the Bar" brought back many memories for me as I lay on the beach that day reading it. It made me think about the paths and turns I have taken in my life. Some good, some bad. However with every lesson lived, there is a lesson learned. Check out "Raising the Bar". It is a great read and highly recommended by yours truly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting!