Thursday, February 26, 2009

Forum Advice

I like discussion boards. I'll be the first to admit it. I like the idea of stimulating thought and the learning process through online interaction. Shoot...when I was in my late teens, the most thought stimulating discussion I had with friends was what kind of music should be played during a posing routine. I always chose Ozzy, but my friends (the actual competitors) were always privy to weird Star Wars orchestra music.

Today, we have the Internet. And the world wide web allows us to share ideas and discuss topics with people from all over the globe. I have interacted with people from Singapore and Pakistan, as well as Australia and Germany. How cool is that? I don't Facebook or Twitter because I like to spend more of my time training, hanging with family, or indulging in "me" time. However, the time I do have to spare, I dedicate to only a handful of fitness forums.

However, the advice that I read on some forums seems to fall under 3 categories in my book:

Category #1:
Lifters that don't train others, only themselves

Category #2:
Experts that don't train, just give out information from research or products

Category #3:
Whatever product is HOT at the moment, is the referring source to all answers posted on a forum

Now, I am may be off the mark here, but training yourself and training another individual (not related to you, girlfriend, or roommate, neighbor, or friend) is very different. Different rules apply with you train a client. However, everyone's advice concerning their own workouts applies to the majority. That is online mistake #1.

I have met some really great experts online. I also have a good email correspondence with some. Others, I don't bother. All their advice seems to be related to what is read. Science is great. Research is great. But I am an applicable-learner. I need to try it on myself, before I can give it to someone else. I need to "feel" what an exercise feels like before I commit a client to it. So where does research and studies fall into my repertoire? I'll be the first to admit...I am not a big research buff. I read the stuff that confirms what I have been doing is correct. Studies don't stimulate me..."doing" stimulates me.

At least 50% of the fitness products on the market are worth your dollar. The other half are crap. Period. However, I have learned the last 4 years since I've entered the online world, that the more people say something...even if its crap or BS....it becomes truth. Stupidity spreads as fast as a fire in California. Certain online products don't desearch as much credit as people give them...give yourself more credit. You are the one that did it! The product simply gave you an incentive to structure your workouts much more effectively. It will lose its steam, just like a toddler's toy.

My advice? Watch where and from whom you get your information online. Trainers shouldn't be commenting on medical conditions such as endocrinological disorders, hormonal dysfunctions, and spinal disorders. Just as 16 year old lifters shouldn't try to talk about shoulder health, when Monday is always a "chest day" for them.

Question everything.




1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT! I couldn't agree more! I am diggin' the S-T Forums because it seems the majority of "regulars" there are very knowledgeable, decent pro's. I get a kick out of some responses...it seems forums can give people an excuse to really be a-holes & sling mud...I guess because they don't have to show their face? Anyhow, we can't all be rocket scientists...lol... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting!