Monday, January 12, 2009

Shoulder Clicking & Bad Posture

Here's a question from the StrongLifts.com forum:


Question: Every now and then I feel a clicking in the front of my left shoulder. If I put my arms straight out in front of me and twist my hand anti clock wise I can really feel it. It not really painful but I'm worried in later years it my cause my trouble.The right one is OK no trouble or pain. Been doing strong lifts for around 7 weeks and reckon my technique is good but I would say my upper back posture is slightly rounded in my day to day living.Can anybody suggest any techniques to get rid of the clicking and maybe help with my posture."


Here are some pics to help you:


Side





Rear





Answer: Thanks for posting the pics. They make a world of difference in trying to help you.

First...You have an excessively rounded upper back and a slight anterior pelvic tilt. It makes your spine look like an exaggerated "S" shape. I say exaggerated because the spine is supposed to be an "s", but you have a kyphotic posture that is interferring with the proper kinematics of the joints (how they move). If you look at your shoulder blades (scapula), the left one is "elevated" and from the left side view, the shoulder is "shifted forward". That is called a anterior humeral head migration. That is caused by a few things:
- Bad posture
- Bad lifting habits
- Weak core
- Poor scapula and thoracic mobility
- Scar tissue/past injuries.
- Overloading weak joints

Check out this article I wrote, because you exhibit the same postural distortions and it may help:http://www.izzostrengthtraining.com/Push-up__What_I_See.html

I believe the left side scapula is a symptom of a problem. The problem really lies in the weak core, overly tight chest muscles, and excessive benching or poor sitting habits. Begin to foam roll the upper back and perform some core strengthening exercises: plank, side planks, & hip bridges. If you notice in your "front" pic, you can see the tops of your hands. That is an indication for internally rotated shoulders. Check out this article about shoulder health:
http://www.izzostrengthtraining.com/7-Phase_Protect_Shoulder.html

Basically, the clicking is the should blade "rubbing" up against something. Could be bone, cartilage, or ligament. It may not pose a problem now (pain-wise), but inflammation is bound to happen unless you begin to fix that posture. Start with the core exercises and include also:
Wall Slides
Chest stretches
Cuban presses
Face Pulls

Hope all this helps!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting!