Wednesday, November 5, 2008

"You Make It Look So Easy"


I constantly hear this from my clients....


"Gosh, you make it look so easy."


I wonder why so many of them defeat themselves with such comments. My job is to show them an optimal execution of an exercise...I don't "try" to make it look easy. It just comes naturally.


Why does it come naturally for me and not for some of them? Here's why:

Many of my clients are tight desk jockies that observe the stock market all day or fiddle around in meetings with executives. They don't stretch. I have found that they have tight muscles including the: pectineus, sartorius, and tensor fascia latea (TFL). These muscles of the hip complex usually "steer" the rest of the body--including the central base which is what we like to call the "core". Once these muscles are tight, repeated hip flexion only exacerbates the adhesion build-up and tightening of the fascia.

I have also found that it is very quick for the body to conform back to a seated position if the client is not following up with their prescribed stretches and myofacial release techniques.

It is an endless battle for the trainer to influence a client to stretch often, move often, and exercise. However, it is troubling for me when my clients have trouble with simple tasks that I seem to "make look easy". Especially, when my clients are only about 10 years older than me.

What do I usually prescribe? Well, I am fortunate enough that I work with people that CAN afford massage therapy often. My first line of intervention is getting my clients some sessions with my in-house massage therapist. Once they experience at least 4 sessions with her, I introduce them to the high-density foam roller. By the time they are done with that (they are in pain) and they are understanding the amount of work we have ahead of us. I follow that up with some static stretching (with holds ranging only 4-8 seconds). Then we work in some mobility drills. The timing from stretching to mobility is dependent on the client's adherence to the stretches and SMR work (as mentioned above). Usually the time ranges from 4 to 8 weeks. Yep...sometimes stretching is not on top of their priority lists.

By the way, in case you were wondering what it was that I made look so easy?

Simply getting up off the floor....
Sad...

1 comment:

  1. Ya good post - Anything we can do as trainers to get these people moving and stretching - especially those desk jockeys -

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting!