Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Preventative Medicine: Including Fitness?

This weekend I was able to check out the NBC 30 Health & Wellness Expo in Hartford, CT. I visited the exposition and ran into other professionals (non-fitness related) that I have worked with in the past. I was somewhat disappointed at the lack of fitness related booths and fitness businesses represented. There were numerous booths and table for chiropractors, community health centers, massage, and even mattresses wholesalers. There was belly dancers and tap dancers. There was even seeing-eye dogs and hospital reps peddling prostate check-ups.

However, when I think of preventative medicine, I don't think of getting a flu shot before getting the flu. I think of leading a healthy lifestyle that includes proper diet and plenty of exercise. IN my 35 years, this has always proven to be the #1 prevention against illness and disease. Most individuals that I know that workout regularly and feel guilty when they can't make it to the gym, can attest to my stand.

Hopefully, the public will realize--including news people and media--that preventative medicine should include the fitness industry and its professionals.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that personal training and fitness should have been present - It's a lot easier to prevent illness by living a healthy lifestyle than reacting to the illness after it has happened - Probably cheaper too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting!