Thursday, October 23, 2008

Boredom Between Sets

It is Wednesday as I write this and I have hit the gym 3 different times this week. I hit the gym at 1pm, 3pm, and 5pm. Today, I noticed a common theme around the gym that I have noticed all the other times. So many lifters look 'bored' between sets. For instance, one lifter was yawning while sitting on a military rack; while another was popping his zits on his shoulder; and another was daydreaming as he gazed in the mirror. Why do we waste so much time while we lift? Is the time that we spend in the gym supposed to reflect the actual training? I hope not. If that is the case, there would be alot more stronger and shredded lifters walking around.

Let's put in this way...which lifter sounds more dedicated?

LIFTER #1: "I spend 2 hours in the gym every day"...or

LIFTER #2: "I spend 45 minutes in the gym everyday".

While the general public would view LIFTER #1 as the more deficated exerciser, he'd better have the body to go with it. Howver, what if LIFTER #2 had a great body to go with his response? What would the general public assume then? Genetics? Performance drugs? Better trainer?

Well, I want to give you an idea of what you can do during your rest periods in between sets besides watching the large HDTV screens hanging in the corners of the gym.

Mobility Drills. A great way to actively recover after a heavy set is to perform a mobility drill specific for the muscles being used in the set. Contrary to what many elitists want you to think, some mobility work can be performed during the actual workout and not necessarily in the beginning only. For example, as depicted in my Stronger Shoulders DVD, in between sets of shoulder exercises, a set of Mobility "S" Stretches can be performed. If you don't have the DVD, check out the exercise drill below:







Mobility work during the working set rest periods can help decrease lactic acid build-up; elongate working muscles that are prone to shortening from excessive volume; and serve as a mode of active recovery. I have found that many of my clients prefer to use some mobility drills during their workouts because they feel 'warmer' and more in-tune with their body. I still advocate doing some mobility work in the beginning of a workout as part of your warm-up, but I don't see any problems with performing additional drills in between working sets. It will be sure to make your workouts more productive and effecient, and hopefully get you in and out of the gym faster. Besides, it beats watching the latest episode of Tyra.

2 comments:

  1. If a gym shows new episodes of Tyra on the television, it's time to look for a new one - LOL - definitely rather improve my mobility than watch that stuff though -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks K! The sad thing is alot of this people are too interested in what Tyra's guest has to say, rather than hit the gym, eat clean, and go home to your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for checking out the blog and commenting!